1704.15 Special inspection for mechanical systems. Mechanical systems regulated by Sections 107 and 507 and Chapters 10, 11 and 12 of the New York City Mechanical Code shall be inspected for conformance with the approved construction documents.
1704. 15.1 Tests for mechanical systems. Tests of mechanical systems shall be performed in accordance with Sections 507.16,1011,1108 and 1208 of the New YorkCity Mechanical Code.
Exception: Listed and labeled self-contained factory-built equipment and appliances deemed to meet the design, manufacture and factory test requirements of this code shall be field tested in accordance with the manufacturers’ installation and operational test standards.
1704.15.2 Special inspection of mechanical systems. Inspections of mechanical systems shall include the following as applicable to the system:
- Visual certification that required components of such systems are complete in accordance with the manufacturers’ installation guidelines and the approved construction documents;
- Supports, hangers, seismic bracing, and vibration isolation equipment are properly spaced and anchored to supporting structure;
- Installation of required signage and safety instructions;
- Electrical components are installed and electrical sign-off issued;
- Ventilation balancing report is complete and in accordance with design documents and, in the professional opinion of the special inspector; the system is operating as designed;
- Required labeling, operational instructions and safety signage properly posted;
- All related special inspections for such systems are complete;
- Noise-producing mechanical equipment located within 100 feet (30 480 mm) of habitable room windows shall be tested at the equipment for compliance with the design STC rating of the equipment; and
- Required fire and smoke dampers are installed and functioning properly.
Exception: Systems and equipment exempt from service equipment certificate of compliance in accordance with Section 28-116.4.1 of the Administrative Code.
|Special Inspection:||Mechanical Systems|
|Code Section(s):||BC 1704.15|
|Minimum Qualifications:||Primary Inspector or Inspection Supervisor.
a. PE/RA and 1 year relevant experience, OR
b. PE/RA and ICC Certification as a Residential or Commercial Mechanical Inspector
|Supplemental Inspector (Alternative 1),
a. Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture or Engineering AND two (2) years relevant experience and ICC Certification as a Residential or Commercial Mechanical Inspector.
|Supplemental Inspector (Alternative 2)
a. Technician with ICC Certification as a Residential or Commercial Mechanical Inspector and three (3) years relevant experience.